Monday 18 February 2013

Hothouse

I seem to have developed an obsession with Cacti recently. It started with me coming across a photo on pinterest. It seemed like the perfect houseplant for me. One that I might manage not to kill within two weeks. But instead of going out and buying one I've just been drawing them.


They make me giggle. They are funny to look at aren't they? I had some as a child that had fake paper flowers stuck in the top. I've been trying to work out the best way to draw them, so I tried some collage...


And I tried some gouache and ink....


Which made them a bit more cartoony.....


I think I might try a lino print next. I don't really know where this is going, other than obsession! A pattern I dare say. When I've figured it out, I'll let you know.

6 comments:

  1. The gouache and ink versions are beautiful. They made me think of those sketches for disney films that you see in film artwork. The first two have really nice textures in them, but the gouache/ink is the winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the nicest thing anyones ever said to me. Thanks Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely not! It's well deserved anyway - and your life drawings are brilliant - definitely keep them going. If you have photoshop you should put them on there and play with textures and colours - lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an obsession with cacti at the moment as well! I'm drawing them and making them into textile designs for my final textile degree project x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha. Thanks Ben. More of an illustrator girl. Need to reacquaint myself with photoshop. Polly there is definitely a cacti vibe at the mo. I look forward to seeing what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE all of them! :D

    ReplyDelete